Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Lil' Brudders... sure grow fast!

Hard to believe this was less than four years ago! Joshua and Caleb started learning Tae Kwon Do in the fall of 2005. We've seen lots of growth - physically, relationally, mentally, etc. - and Master Lim has been a constant source of challenge and encouragement.

Lim just recently returned from Korea himself where he made a special trip to Busan to find a suitable TKD studio where the boys can continue their training. Joshua just earned his black belt in June and if they manage to keep in shape this summer we figure Caleb will be testing for his black belt sometime while we are in Korea.



Having never had a brother myself, it has been one of the great joys of my life to watch these two grow. I sometimes joke that they are more like Cain & Abel... or Jacob & Esau... but most of the time they live up to their namesakes. Joshua & Caleb were friends who bravely explored new territory - but they became heroes for their willingness to trust God in the face of a very uncertain future.

It is a powerful example of "freelance grace" for me to see these two boys turn into men before my eyes. I know that their passion for exploration, their appreciation of discipline, and, above all, their love for God will continue to grow. I am grateful for people like Master Lim and all the other teachers and friends who have influenced my sons.

These past two weeks in Hawaii have been a priceless time of reconnection to my family and I have especially had the privilege of spending time with my sons, running the Wai'pio valley and teaching them to spear-fish. I pray that in the years ahead, this time in Hawaii will be remembered as a new benchmark for our family. We've talked openly about how family dynamics can change and how much we as parents desire and intend to work toward emotional & relational health in our family.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments: